Define field status variant | Assign Company code to field status variant | Define document number range | Define tolerance group for employees | Define tolerance group for G/L Accounts
1. Define field status variant
Field status variant and field status groups are important while posting G/L accounts. It is here that we decide which fields are required, optional or hidden/suppressed while posting entries.
Let us assume while posting a general entry we need narration. It is here that we make the ‘narration’ field mandatory.
- SPRO > IMG > Financial Accounting > Financial Accounting Global settings > Documents > Line item > Controls > Define field status variants:
- You might notice that there are already few Field Status Variants already defined. Here, select/highlight the first line item or the first field status variant that you see on screen ( 0001 : Field status for 0001)
- Click on the ‘Copy as…’ icon that is just above the table or press F6 function key after selecting the first line
- Once you have copied the first line item rename ‘0001’ to your own unique ref. (In our example: FWFS) and Change the description. (In our example: ‘Field status for ADFW’)
- Once that is done hit the enter key/button.
- A new window pops up! Here select ‘COPY ALL’
- We are copying default settings. Once copying is done you get a message “No of dependent entries copied: 41”. That is correct so TICK okay.
- SAVE! Your field status variant is defined successfully.
- Let us assume you wish to alter certain fields as required/optional/suppress. Click on ‘position’ chose your field status variant. (In our example: FWFS). Select/highlight this line and double-click on ‘Field Status Groups’.
- Here you will see various default field status groups. Let us double-click on the first one ‘G001 : Genreal’.
- This is your general ledger posting field criteria. Double-click on ‘General Data’.
- Let us assume that while posting any general entry in SAP we need a narration. For our company that is a must. Now to set this field as REQUIRED we select ‘Req Entry’ for TEXT.
- Once you have changed your desired fields click SAVE!
- Like so, when you post a general entry you got to enter a narration or else you cannot post!
2. Assign Company code to field status variant
- SPRO > IMG > Financial Accounting > Financial Accounting Global settings > Documents > Line item > Controls > Assign company code to field status variants:
- Click on Position
- Enter your company code (Eg: ADFW)
- Enter field status variant (Eg: FWFS)
3. Define Document number range
Document numbers are nothing but the serial numbers that appear on each voucher. Companies normally have different number range for different voucher types: Purchase voucher, payment voucher, Receipt voucher etc
There are two ways of doing this:
- Transaction code: OBA7
- This option shows a list of all document types.
- Double click on any document type or scroll down to see ‘SA : General Ledger Account Document’ – Double click on this
- It displays ‘Document type’, ‘Number range’ and other info.
- The two digits ‘Number range: 01’ is important for this task. We will remember that for now.
- Click on ‘Number range information’ button that is located just opposite to ‘Number Range: ‘
- Note: Above steps are additional in method one. From here follow method two. They are the same
- SPRO > IMG > Financial Accounting > Financial Accounting global settings > Document > Document number ranges > Define Document no range:
- Both the ‘method one’ steps and ‘method two’ menu brings you here
- Key-in your Company code (Eg ADFW) and click on ‘Change intervals’
- Press ‘Insert interval’ button
- Here under ‘New Interval’ window we update our number range for
- No: 01 (To get this number we went through ‘method one’. If you know your ‘number range’ skip ‘method one’.)
- Year: Your financial year start year (in our example 2016)
- From number: Let us say 1,000
- To number: 10,000 (Assuming we might post 10k entries)
- Current number: In case you are starting from any existing number range enter the continuation number or else leave it at ‘0’ zero.
- Ext: External number range. If you wish to manually give a number each time you post an entry tick this or else leave it un-checked. One reason for using this option is when data is migrated from any other ERP software into SAP and you still want to keep the old number range.
- If you want to define number range for a different document type (vendor invoice) click on ‘Interval’ – top left button and continue or else click on the back button and exit.
4. Define tolerance group for employees
- SPRO > IMG > Financial Accounting > General ledger accounting > Business transactions > Open item clearing > Clearing differences > Define tolerance group for employees: or TC OB57
- New entries
- Enter 4 digit unique group ID. (In our example leave it blank)
- Enter your company code (ADFW)
- Currency: This is default currency of your Company Code and cannot be edited.
- Upper limits for posting procedure:
- Amount per document: Enter your upper limit (eg: 999.999.999.999,00)
- Amt per open item account item: Enter your upper limit (Eg: 999.999.999,00)
- Cash discount per line item: Enter a limit allowed % for the group. (Eg: 10)
- Permitted payment differences:
- For ‘Amount’ enter 100 for both Revenue and Expense
- For ‘Percentage’ enter 10 for both Revenue and Expense
- Note: USD 100 or 10% whichever is lower
- Cash discnt adj. to : Leave this blank for both Revenue and Expense
5. Define tolerance group for G/L Account;
- SPRO > IMG > Financial Accounting > General Ledger Accounting > Business transaction > Open item clearing > Clearing differences > Define tolerance group for G/L Accounts > or (TC OBA0)
- New entries:
- Update company code
- Tolerance group: Leave this blank but enter a description: “Tolerance group for ADFW”
- While learning it is better not to mention a tolerance group as this will interfere during posting entries.
- Tolerances for groups of G/L accounts in local currency: Update your tolerance limit or leave it blank.